The Brief Therapy Institute of Sydney (BTIS) is a centre in Sydney's western suburbs — committed to being a "centre of excellence" for practice, training and supervision in Solution-focused Brief Therapy and applications of "the strengths perspective". We are committed to Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (psychotherapy/counselling), but also to the application of Solution-Focused ideas in broader contexts — coaching, leadership, school welfare and discipline, management, supervision and organisational settings.
We are the leading provider of Brief Therapy training and consultation in Australia. Michael Durrant was honoured to have a close personal friendship with a number of the founders of the Solution-Focused approach — particularly Steve de Shazer, Eve Lipchik and Insoo Kim Berg. The Brief Therapy training and consultation we offer stands proudly on the shoulders of Steve de Shazer, Insoo Kim Berg and Eve Lipchik, Brian Cade, and others.
Many people in Australia and New Zealand who identify themselves as Solution-Focused Brief Therapists have begun their Solution-Focused journey in BTIS training. As well as the 200 or more people who attend our Solution-Focused Brief Therapy training courses each year, we have provided Leadership training for staff working with preschools and special-needs children in South-east Queensland and agencies in New Zealand, supervision training for welfare agencies in Mt Gambier (in rural South Australia), for the Victorian child protection department and for a large rural welfare agency in western and north-western NSW, training in Solution-Focused Brief Therapy for counsellors and caseworkers in a family welfare agency in Darwin and a child protection agency in inner-city Sydney, as well as many other agencies. We have worked with the whole staff of a primary school in New Plymouth, New Zealand, the staff of a nuymber of high schools in western Sydney, rural NSW and Auckland, as well as with high-performance coaches at the New Zealand Institute of Sport. These looked at how Solution-Focused ideas help us promote what is best in students or athletes (rather than figuring out how to "fix" what is wrong). We worked with an adolescent sexual offenders program in the wilds of Montana, USA and have conducted training for educational psychologists and school personnel in London.
The Brief Therapy Institute of Sydney offers a range of services:
- A program of professional training in Solution-focused Brief Therapy and applications of the strengths perspective. Training includes one- and two-day courses held in Parramatta — also in Adelaide and in Melbourne.
- Professional supervision for counselling, education and human services professionals who wish to further their skills and experience in Solution-Focused Brief Therapy and/or in "strengths-based" approaches to working. We have experience providing supervision to individual practitioners — either on a "one-off" case consultation basis or on an ongoing basis — and in providing external supervision to teams within the mental health, adolescent and family, school and alternate care settings.
- "Customised" and workplace training — any of the Institute's training courses can be provided onsite at your workplace or agency for a group of employees and we work with you to "customise" the program so that it meets the particular needs of your organisation.
- Consultation in program development and management is available for organisations who are developing more of a strengths focus in their work and wish to explore its implications for organisation and management.
- Therapy — Our counselling or therapy services at the Brief Therapy Institute of Sydney are limited at the moment. Michael is not able to accept therapy referrals at present. For details of therapists associated with us and recommended by us, please click on the "Need to see a therapist?" link at left.
Solution-Focused training in Sydney in July 2019
The two-day course Solution-Focused Brief Therapy: A comprehensive introduction will be offered in Parramatta (western Sydney) in July and October 2019. Details and registration HERE.
Solution-Focused training in Melbourne and Adelaide
The two-day course Solution-Focused Brief Therapy: A comprehensive introduction will be offered in Melbourne and Adelaide later in 2019. Details soon.
Latest newsletter and training news
Read our latest Newsletter — with ALL our 2019 training — HERE.
Michael steps down as AASFBT President
Michael Durrant has been President of the Australasian Association for Solution-Focused Brief Therapy since its inception five years ago. At last year's AASFBT AGM in Melbourne, Michael announced that he was standing down as President ... and has now left the Board completely after a period of handing over various admin processes. Best wishes to new President, David Hains. Michael was honoured (and humbled) that the meeting resolved to award him Life Membership of the Association.