Thu 14 Mar 2019 (9:30 AM) - Fri 15 Mar 2019 (4:15 PM) Add to calendar
The Hackney Hotel, 95 Hackney Rd, Hackney, SA, 5069View map
|Includes||Catering, workshop handbook and certificate|
This popular course provides a comprehensive introduction to the theory and practice of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) and its application to a range of counselling settings. It includes an overview of the Solution-Focused approach and how it fits within the broader "strengths-based" approaches and within the family therapy field. Participants are introduced to the skills and tools of SFBT — the main forms of questioning and interventions. The course includes:
- The philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of the Solution-Focused approach, including the resilience research conducted within psychiatry;
- The fundamental shift from "problem-driven" to "solution-driven";
- Techniques for interviewing clients about seemingly insignificant successes or differences and how to build on these;
- The "problem-solution discontinuity" and the role of "future-focused" questions in drawing this distinction;
- Techniques for establishing realistic, workable goals or preferred outcomes with the client;
- Using future-focused questions to construct achievable outcomes;
- Scaling questions to create possibilities of movement;
- Summarising sessions and therapeutic tasks;
- How issues such as "risk" fit with a Solution-Focused approach;
- The state of research into the approach.
This course will be particularly suitable for psychologists, social workers, counsellors, mental health nurses, school counsellors, coaches and anyone interested in working EFFECTIVELY and EFFICIENTLY to promote change. It will be relevant BOTH for those who have already had some exposure to Solution-Focused Brief Therapy but would benefit from a comprehensive framework for conceptualising and practising the approach AND also highly applicable for people with no real exposure to the approach. Videotape examples of actual therapy sessions complement the discussion and the skills practice exercises. Examples include cases from substance abuse, trauma, mental health, child and adolescent difficulties and other contexts. Comprehensive course notes are provided.
This training is the most comprehensive introductory Solution-Focused training available in Australia, conducted by Michael Durrant, who had a personal and professional relationship with the founders of the Solution-Focused approach and is a sought-after speaker and trainer internationally.
This course is offered a number of times during the year. It usually fills quickly and is often over-subscribed — we encourage you to register early. The course is conducted 9:30 AM to 4:15 PM each day and the course fee includes comprehensive notes, morning tea, AND lunch.